In my previous organization, I have Promoted, demoted and set up more than 100 domain controllers in an year and migrated a domain with 6000 users, 50 group policies, 4000 computers to a domain having more than 500 policies 125000 users, same number of computers and 130 Domain Controllers. I have faced a lot of DNS related issues during, after the installation of active directory. In order to avoid such issue you may follow some best practices and checks while installing and configuring DNS for active directory.
- If you are going to promote the first domain controller and you don’t have a DNS present in the network, you can first install the DNS from add or remove windows components and directly go for DC promotion without configuring DNS. I will leave the configuration part to Active directory and it should automatically populate the zones.
- If you already have a DNS server you need to check the DNS prefix of the server. The best practice is to keep both the DNS zone name and active directory domain name same.
- Also before promoting a domain controller you need to check the DNS is configured properly for that server. If it is the first domain controller and no DNS server is available, then you need to mention the IP of the same machine as the DNS server. Else you can specify the nearest or available DNS server’s IP.
- After promoting the DC, you need to create the reverse lookup for the newly promoted DC. Most of the does not do this but it is required to get better name resolution. If the reverse lookup is not present, it will not be able to resolve the name of the DNS server when you type nslookup.
- You can check for some DNS related events in the DNS console.
- Make sure that required zones are created and some of the active directory related records are created. If anything seems to be wrong you may restart the netlogon service or else can restart the server as a second option.
There may be some more additional checks and practices which can be followed according to the situation. The above practices are for general conditions and can be followed to reduce the chance for an issue.